CASE Consultants International
CASE associate Robin Cape is founding member of The Collider(a NC 501-C3 formerly known as the Asheville Buncombe Sustainable Community Initiatives). Robin created a center whereby scientists, data specialists, and businesses can engage with the Asheville based NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information. As Mack Pearsall put it, "As my co-founding partner in The Collider, Robin Cape has been the one critical player without whom this project would not have come to fruition. Her tireless commitment helped get us to where we are today...a good and faithful community servant; An A, with appreciation for a job well done.” See Story behind the climate sector success Asheville Citizen Times [Auguest 28, 2015]
CASE associate Eileen Shea leads discourse on the Value of NOAA in our Neighborhood.Our society depends on science to provide the sound foundations for the many decisions we make every day. CASE Consultants International depends on authentic data provided principally through NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information. As a corporate member of Friends of NOAA, CASE is pleased to inform people about NOAA's importance in our region and the world.
- Eileen Shea presents The Federal Budget Process and how it relates to climate services in our region CASE explains the budgeting process and provides a factual understanding of the significant contribution NOAA makes to the Asheville, Western North Carolina and The Collider. [May 19, 2017]
- What is the value of NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information - Climate in Asheville to the region's economic vitality?CASE associate Ms. Eileen Shea and Coey Atkins of Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce explore this and the impact of the Administration's proposed FY 2018 budget on NOAA in Asheville. [June 23, 2017]
- How the NOAA National Center for Environmental Information, the NC State’s Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS-NC), and the USAF’s 14th Weather Squadron provide business opportunities in Asheville and Western North Carolina.
- The economic impact that NOAA’s budget has on the Asheville and the Western North Carolina economy.
- The federal budgeting process and how Presidential budget proposals are transformed by Congress into specific funding decisions.
CASE operates as an affiliated consultancy, with seasoned practitioners, accredited professionals, and employees. Our team’s approach is to engage project partners and stakeholders in a collaborative process to develop creative solutions to their most pressing issues. CASE works collaboratively with our clients and bringe targeted resources to the climate related issues our clients face. We begin every process to determine the climate-related aspects of the issues they face by asking: What does the science say? Why is the science important to our client? How does the science affect our client’s future?
DUNS 009617568, CAGE Code 6ZJT6, NAICS Codes Selected
512110 Motion Picture and Video Production
541611 Administrative Management and General Management Consulting Services
541620 Environmental Consulting Services
541690 Other Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
541715 Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences (except Nanotechnology and Biotechnology)
541720 Research and Development in the Social Sciences and Humanities
541990 All Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
611430 Professional and Management Development Training
813312 Environment, Conservation and Wildlife OrganizationsProduct Service Codes Selected
Product Service Codes Selected
Product Service Code Description
AB41 R&D- COMMUNITY SERVICE/DEVELOPMENT: URBAN (BASIC RESEARCH)
AB46 R&D- COMMUNITY SERVICE/DEVELOPMENT: URBAN (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)
AJ11 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: PHYSICAL SCIENCES (BASIC RESEARCH)
AJ12 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: PHYSICAL SCIENCES (APPLIED RESEARCH/EXPLORATORY DEVELOPMENT)
AJ15 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: PHYSICAL SCIENCES (OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT)
AJ16 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: PHYSICAL SCIENCES (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)
AJ17 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: PHYSICAL SCIENCES (COMMERCIALIZED)
AJ31 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (BASIC RESEARCH)
AJ32 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (APPLIED RESEARCH/EXPLORATORY DEVELOPMENT)
AJ33 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT)
AJ35 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT)
AJ36 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)
AJ71 R&D- GENERAL SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: SOCIAL SCIENCES (BASIC RESEARCH)
AP23 R&D- NATURAL RESOURCE: LAND (ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT)
AP72 R&D- NATURAL RESOURCE: ATMOSPHERIC (APPLIED RESEARCH/EXPLORATORY DEVELOPMENT)
AP73 R&D- NATURAL RESOURCE: ATMOSPHERIC (ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT)
AP75 R&D- NATURAL RESOURCE: ATMOSPHERIC (OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT)
AP76 R&D- NATURAL RESOURCE: ATMOSPHERIC (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)
AZ16 R&D- OTHER RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)
B510 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENTS
B524 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- MATHEMATICAL/STATISTICAL
B525 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- NATURAL RESOURCE
B529 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- SCIENTIFIC DATA
B550 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- ORGANIZATION/ADMINISTRATIVE/PERSONNEL
B599 SPECIAL STUDIES/ANALYSIS- OTHER
F018 NATURAL RESOURCES/CONSERVATION- OTHER FOREST/RANGE IMPROVEMENTS (NON-CONSTRUCTION)
F999 OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
R427 SUPPORT- PROFESSIONAL: WEATHER REPORTING/OBSERVATION
R429 SUPPORT- PROFESSIONAL: EMERGENCY RESPONSE/DISASTER PLANNING/PREPAREDNESS SUPPORT
U001 EDUCATION/TRAINING- LECTURES Type your paragraph here.
McGuirk on assignment with the World Meteorological Organization, presenting the Global Framework for Climate Services, User Interface Platform at the World Climate Conference 2012. Pictured from Left, WMO Secretary General Michel Jarraud, Marjorie McGuirk, and Assistant Secretary-General Elena Manaenkova.
At CASE Consultants International, we offer tailored climate services to our clients both in program planning and in applied science. We strive to:
- Develop Climate Action Plans to provide authoritative, easily accessible, usable, and timely data, information, and decision-support tools on climate preparedness and resilience for small towns, urban areas, and island states
- Conduct meta research that applies science to products in shipping, freight, landscaping, architecture, public health, food security, disaster risk reduction, and water resources
- Mainstream climate science into professional practice through climate education events and communication strategies
CASE Mainstreams climate science into professional practice
CASE provides climate education to professionals that seek means to incorporate the latest climate science into their work in professional planning, architecture, landscaping, civil engineering, transportation, infrastructure design and much, much more.
CASE is proud to be a certified provider of continuing professional education with the American Planning Association.
- Invited lecture: McGuirk, Marjorie. Educating Climate Practitioners: Mainstreaming Climate Science, Thirteenth International Seminar on Climate Systems and Climate Change (ISCS), 11-22 July 2016, Chengdu, China, Beijing Climate Center
- Mainstreaming Climate Change into the Liberal Arts studies by supporting UNC-Asheville's program on Climate Change and Society.
- Glackin, Mary, Marjorie McGuirk, Lenny Bernstein, May 2013. Mainstreaming Climate Change into the Professional Societies – Business Plan for Continuing Education Units, CASE Consultants International, Asheville, North Carolina
CASE associates engage in and contribute to many efforts, some publicly available:
Climate Change and Infrastructure
- Scott Shuford, AICP, Invited speaker to the NC Beaches, Inlets, and Waterways Association Spring Conference (NCBIWA),Sea level rise implications for eastern NC, April 23, 2018, Carolina Beach, NC,
- October 31, 2017: Business World announces CASE Consultants International presents two important workshops in Asheville NC in November that bring climate experts together with architect and health professionals to explore the impacts to their customers and constituents that changing weather patterns present.
- Game-Changing Resilient Infrastructure The American Planning Association teams with CASE Consultants International to present a continuing education symposium featuring top experts in the field of resilient infrastructure.
- Climate Wise Brownfields symposium benefits professional planners, stormwater managers, economic developers, landscape architects, realtors, property assessors and other practitioners.
- "Resilient Places: Planning for Our Future" an educational symposium for regional, town and county planners in collaboration with the American Planning Association and The Collider: February 24-25, 2017 See Press Release.
"Climate Resilient Design in the Southeast" A CASE educational symposium with American Planning Association and The Collider: Read the Symposium Summary
Climate Change and Transportation
- Highway Weather Closure Narratives and Impacts - Cambridge Systematic - a Narrative Study of weather's impacts on specific highways by the American Association of State Climatologists, Glenn Kerr and Marjorie McGuirk, Editors Contributing authors: Lukas Buehler, Jim Angel, James DeGrand Noland Doeskan, David Robinson, Nancy Selover, Kyle Imhoff, Collin McKallar, Dennis Todey, Stephanie McAfee, Stephanie, Karin Burnbaco, Nicholas Bond. February 2016.
- US Dept of Transportation. Regional Assessment of Weather Impacts on Freight, Final Report. Technical Report Cambridge Systematics. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration, January 2016 - Researching the weather impacts on trucking freight on the nation's highways, Authors: Daniel Krechmer, Noel Perry, Sarahjoy Gallaher, Marjorie McGuirk, Thomas Burnett, and Katherine Blizzard.
- Weather Exposure Analysis Report Cambridge Systematics, CASE Consultants International, Technical report to Regional Assessment of Weather Impacts on Freight, Federal Highway Administration, February 2016. Authors: Marjorie McGuirk, Tom Burnett, and Lucas Buehler.
- Assessing the vulnerabilities of Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor transportation assets as a result of potential climate change impact
- Invited Lecture: McGuirk, Marjorie, Weather and Climate Change Impacts on Transportation Systems, Thirteenth International Seminar on Climate Systems and Climate Change (ISCS), 11-22 July 2016, Chengdu, China, Beijing Climate Center
- Invited Topic of the United Nation's World Meteorological Organization: McGuirk, M., S. Shuford, T.C. Peterson, and P. Pisano. " Weather and climate change implications for surface transportation in the USA."Bulletin of the WMO, 58, 84-93, 2009
- Commissioned by the National Research Council's Transportation Research Board: Peterson, T.C., M. McGuirk, T.G Houston, A.H. Horvitz, and M.F. Wehner. 2008. “Climate Variability and Change with Implications for Transportation.”
- The Potential Impacts of Climate Change on U.S. Transportation. Special Research Report 290, Washington D.C.: National Research Council. Transportation Research Board.
Climate Change and Public Health
Assessing Climate and Health
- The Medical Society Consortium announces Climate and Respiratory Health – Focus on Asthma November 9th, at The Collider, in Asheville,
- HEALTHeWeather Introduces Climate Science-based Solution for Asthma Triggers.
Evidence-based research performed by CASE involves meta-research in the clinical studies. Our literature review was aimed at identifying the correlation between weather and environmental exposures specifically for allergy and asthma. In addition, the research sought to identify specific weather and environmental exposure thresholds that correlate to a higher incidence of symptoms for allergy sufferers or negative health outcomes for asthma patients. These thresholds form the basis for our calculation of the original Daily Breath Risk Index.
- Climatic Variables and Dengue - Exploring Cases in Southeast Florida. 14th Climate Prediction Applications Science Workshop (CPASW), 22-24 March, 2016 NOAA Burlington, Vermont, Bunilda Lugo, Ph.D
- Climate Products and Services Market Analysis: Health Sector Engagement. 14th Climate Prediction Applications Science Workshop (CPASW), 22-24 March, 2016 NOAA Burlington, Vermont, McGuirk, Marjorie.
- Correlation Analysis of Climatic Variables, Migration, and Dengue Cases in Southeast Florida Enhancing Environmental Health Knowledge (EEK): Vectors and Public Health Pests. Virtual Conference. April 13-14, 2016. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Environmental Health Association, Denver. Brunilda Lugo, Ph.D.
Are you in a Zika Zone? Be aware and Prepare!
- As reported by Business Wire, we've created a product ZikaZoneUSA that helps people answer the question "Are You in a Zika Zone". The Beta test is hibernated pending evaluation of user needs.
- Business Wire "A new tool in the fight against the Zika virus, ZikaZoneUSA.com, goes live today. ZikaZoneUSA.com pinpoints where recent ecological conditions favor the Aedes aegypti mosquito, the primary vector of the Zika virus. The analysis shown at ZikaZoneUSA.com provides an up-to-date map of where conditions are prime for the Zika-spreading mosquito to breed, bite, and potentially infect humans with the Zika virus."
- Zika Zone is a Joint Venture between FernLeaf Interactive and CASE Consultants International
Climate Change and Landscape Architecture
- Tuch, David P., Michael J. Brewer, and Marjorie McGuirk, The effects of global climate change on the landscape: the role of landscape architecture in adaptation strategies,19th Conference on Applied Climatology, American Meteorological Society, Equinox Environmental Consultation & Design, Inc., NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC, July 2011
- Tuch, D., M.J. Brewer, M. McGuirk, F. Grogan, and M. Anderson (2011) Effects of Global Climate Change on the Water Cycle and Water Quality : The Use of Stormwater Best Management Practices to Address Future Impacts. World Environmental & Water Resources Congress Conference, Palm Springs, CA, May 2011.
International Climate Consulting
- Invited speaker - Marjorie McGuirk - Climate Science for Attorneys in Climate Induced Displacement, Yale University MacMillan Center, Climate Induced Displacement, Legal Opportunities and Challenges
- Invited expert on special assignment to the United Nations World Meteorological Organization in Geneva Switzerland to complete the Report of the High Level Task Force "Climate Knowledge for Action – A Global Framework for Climate Services – Empowering the Most Vulnerable”, reviewed by expert panels and governments world-wide
- On special assignment to World Meteorological Organization drafted The WMO Position Paper for the Global Framework for Climate Services (40pp) (September-October 2009). Letter of accommodation by the Secretary General of WMO addressed to NOAA leadership for exemplary performance.
- Eileen Shea - Consulting and review the climate strategy and implementation plan for Tokelau Government called Living with Change: Enhancing the Resilience of Tokelau for Climate Change and Related Hazards, LivC STRATEGYand LivC ROAD MAP OF ACTIONS
Climate Change and the Arctic
The Melting Arctic and New Trade Routes
- "Because transport drives the pattern of human settlements and trade routes shape the course of history, new settlements will grow in the high north as global warming melts the Arctic's ice caps and opens lanes for shipping." Citation: McGuirk, Marjorie. “The Melting Arctic and New Trade Routes.” MLA thesis. University of North Carolina Asheville, 2013.
- China Meteorological News Press: The 13th International Seminar on Climate System and Climate Change is held in Chengdu, China 13-07-2016Source:China Meteorological News Press "It is reported on July 11 that the 13th International Seminar on Climate System and Climate Change (ISCS) hosted by China Meteorological Administration (CMA) and co-organized by State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs is initiated in Chengdu University of Information Technology (CUIT). This seminar has invited 5 global prestigious scientists to deliver lectures in cryosphere climate, climate change, and climate change impacts and adaptation." Invited speaker lecturer Marjorie McGurik
- McGuirk, Marjorie."The Melting Arctic and Implications for Transport Infrastructure." Thirteenth International Seminar on Climate Systems and Climate Change (ISCS), 11-22 July 2016, Chengdu, China, Beijing Climate Center.
- See The Melting Arctic and Speculation on Changes in Transport Infrastructure"One of the best presentations and topics of interest that I've seen." Conference attendee AMS Atlanta, February 2014
Informing Decisions in a warming world
- The Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (AEG) 62nd Annual Meeting "Old Mountains...New Beginnings. Using the Past to Map the Future." Convenes in Asheville. Invited speakers from CASE Consultants International present at two technical sessions. Eileen Shea share her experience in use-inspired climate services, from USGCRP to AMS initiated efforts in her talk Communicating Climate Science with Professional Practitioners in a session entitled “Speaking Their Language - Communicating Science with Non-Scientists Who, Why, and How.“ In another “Technical Symposium on Climate Resilience: Bringing Geoscientists and Climate Scientists Together”, Scott Shuford presents Planning for Changing Land Use Practices in Climate-Changed-Precipitation: a CASE Example of Climate and Geosciences Expertise. September 17-22, 2019
- Scott Shuford invited talk "Incorporating Resilience: How Planning Tools Can Enhance Resilience in the Carolinas" CISA - Carolinas Climate Resilience Conference, Columbia, South Carolina, October 29–31, 2018
- David Johnston invited panelist "Sea Level Rise and Security in South Carolina: Implications for Military and Civilian Communities", Convened by The Center for Climate and Security, and the Charleston Resiliency Network, Citadel, Charleston, August, 7, 2018
- Eileen Shea, Understanding Science and Technology in our Daily Lives, McCall Center, Montreat College, Black Mountain, NC, Fall 2017.
- CASE serves on the organizing committee for The Climate Resilient Grid, a Forum on Energy, Climate and the Grid.
- Invited lecture: McGuirk, Marjorie, Scott Shuford, Glenn Kerr, Making Decisions in a Changing Climate, ThirteenthInternational Seminar on Climate Systems and Climate Change (ISCS), 11-22 July 2016, Chengdu, China, Beijing Climate Center
- Making Climate Information Available to Decision Maker: Challenges, Risks and Uncertainty, Watch recorded presentation for three illustrative examples by McGuirk, American Meteorological Society Panel Discussion New Orleans January 2016
- See presentation Global Framework for Climate Services User Interface Platform, applying the GFCS International program with the World Meteorological Organization to partnership between Federal USGCRP agencies and businesses, industries and community in the US.
- Building the National Partnership for Resilience NPfR with the ABSCI Climate Collider